Thursday 1 November 2012

Task 5c

Task 5c
 
As mentioned in Task 5b and in Reader 5, ethics are more a sensation than a rule. It is a feeling that a professional practioner will experience. This is again linked with 'in action' learning. Learning the code of conduct for our work place as we go along. When beginning my professional inquiry, I think most of my 'ethics' will stem from my feelings when carrying out my objectives. For example, when interviewing the Teachers for my inquiry, I will know whether I can push that 'personal' boundary on the day. The key is to be prepared for it to go either way.
 
Using my own ideas and the code of condust on the Association of American Educators website, I now understand that confidentiality will be of upmost importance when carrying out my inquiry. Students may not want Teachers to know what methods of teaching they think aren't sucessful incase of offending the Teacher. The same applies to the Teachers I will be interviewing, they may feel fellow colleagues or parents will judge their teaching methods. To prevent these ill feelings (that may effect my inquiry, ethically) I will keep all Student and Teacher Surveys annonymous. Names will not be mentioned and this will conside with the code of confidentiality.
 
 
Obviously the Students' health and safety is vital so this must be coonsidered thoroughly when planning my inquiry. I must respect that Students and Teachers from a different background or culture to my own (or maybe personal reasons), may not want to diclose information to assist my inquiry so I must understand and respect this if it occurs.
 
I will need to make participants feel comfortable and relaxed around me but there is also a sense of formality as this is a professional inquiry. This may be quite a difficult balance to find. This is something I need to consider further, How can I find a healthy balance of comfort and formality for my particpants? I also must have a positive approach to all aspects of the inquiry just like Teachers must have with all School related events.
 
 
Back to Reader 5, the case study which had the most impact on my thoughts was that of the starving girl. The photographer that waited for a passing vulture to spread it's wings near the starving girl who could not crawl to nearby water. He did not help the girl and the girl died. He then later commited suicide because of the immense guilt he felt. As a professional, I understand we have certain generic standards we must adhere to. As a photographer, he was told not to touch anyone or anything for fear of epidemics. In my opinion, this is not a rule. He was told not to touch anyone in case they infected him. It was an idea planted in his mind, an idea of fear, preventing him from helping the young girl. Of course, the photographer needed to get the perfect picture, a perfect portrayal of starvation, to pay his bills and feed his own family, but in the end, he didn't even get it. Was what he did right? His suicide shows everyone that the man went against his own personal morals. The extreme guilt he felt shows that he had abandoned his own ethics when waiting to take the picture, knowing that the little girl might die. He knew he could help her but a fear of infection and a knowledge that if he waited he could take the most perfect photograph, his job would then have been completed but look at the outcome. 
 
This case study shows that 'rules' and 'ethics' are completely different. Rules (like the law) are to be abided to keep citizens safe and there are material consequences for those who fail to abide, for example; prison, death sentences, fines, penalties etc. However, ethics are personal standards of behaviour and if these aren't adhered to are met with greater consequences, like immense guilt and sadness which could effect health of the body, soul and mind or effect a person's relationships with others. 

2 comments:

  1. I think professional ethics are linked to our reputation and networks. We behave how others do within our community of practice to make connections and be accepted. it's more of a 'this is the way it is' feeling as appose to a set of rules, like you have said. Ethics are everywhere an dthe complexity of the topic is immense!

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ahmet,

    I agree with you that it is more like 'this is the way it is' however, they are called ethics because some people don't have any. They don't think this is the way it is because they are evil. That proves your theory really.

    I love the concept of morals and ethics. I loved doing it as part of GCSE RS so I loved this topic and could spend ages on it!

    Thanks

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete